Help for those who love and serve

Friday, February 11, 2011

Music



I'd like to tell you a friend's story about the power of music in the lives of young women (in her own words).

Years ago, I spent seven years teaching early morning seminary. As I was preparing for my eighth, the bishop called me into his office and said it was time to release me. I loved that calling, I loved the youth, and hated to give it up, but the bishop knew it was time for change. 

Then the bishop gave me two new callings. First he called me to be Gospel Doctrine teacher. Wonderful! That fit well with my seminary experience. 

Then he gave me my second calling - choir director.  Choir director?!?  I didn't even know how to lead music. What was I going to do? 

I exercised my faith and said "Yes."

During the next year I had the sweet opportunity to work with a group of loving and supportive choir members. The very experienced organist mentored me and we managed to have fun, harmonize, and uplift the ward with our music. Plus - I learned to lead music and motivate singers. 

To my surprise, a year later the bishop again called me into  his office. This time he released me from both callings and asked me to serve as president of the Young Women. Another new and scary calling. 

I exercised my faith and said "Yes."

When I met the group of young women, I loved them. And I had a strong impression that they needed to sing - and this is why I served as choir director. 

I searched out young women music and found the Church's A Song of the Heart book for young women and wonderful music from other talented LDS songwriters others like Janice Kapp Perry.

We sang and sang and sang - in class, in sacrament meetings, in activities. Those girls sang their testimonies and as they did so - the gospel went deep into their hearts. I saw that happen. Most of those girls are now mothers, married in the temple and raising their families. We lost very few over the years. 

I wonder if the testimonies they built through music helped them stay strong.


Music is not built into the Young Women program, as it is for Primary. It's up to leaders to seek inspiration about their young women and include music in the way they feel is best.

What music resources do we have?

New LDS.org music website

Explore and have fun! You'll find hymns, children's songs, and other music resources.


Youth Music Library

The new youth website has a Youth Music Library. The music can be streamed and downloaded. This is a valuable resource! The new 2011 For Strength of Youth Media songs are included as well as three young women songs:
"Walk Tall, You're a Daughter of God"
"In That Holy Place"
"I Walk by Faith"


Using Music to Teach Young Women

The classic Young Women site has Using Music to Teach Young Women.  Another great resource! It has music from some of the past General Young Women meetings. You can listen, view, and download sheet music for many of these songs. Be sure to watch some of the GYWM numbers - look at the faces of the girls - you will see the power of music. Here's a sample: "High on the Mountain Top" - watch or listen.


Selected Young Women Music

 The "classic" (older) LDS site has a Selected Young Women Music page. It has songs in English, Spanish, and Portuguese available to download as music and voice, music only, melody only, and pdf of sheet music (right click, click on "Save As"). The accompaniments are very simple - but the music is powerful.


Young Women Camp Songs

Music and singing are an important part of Young Women camp. This site provides many songs - available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese - downloadable as music only or sheet music.

General Conference

General Conference is a tremendous source of music. Select a session and be sure to click the "Show Music" link near the top of the page.  (For now, the show music feature is only available from the October 2009 session to present.) You can watch and listen to beautiful arrangements of church music. Remeber, that April conference sessions include the General Young Women Meeting sessions - just scroll to the bottom. Here's a sample from General Conference: "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus" - watch or listen.

I hope this helps you bring the blessing of music to young women you know.

Here's one more little gift:

I couldn't find this on any official church site, but YouTube has video of  "As Zion's Youth in Latter Days" from the 2007 General Young Women Meeting.



Here's all I could find on the General Young Women Meeting webpage about music from this meeting:

The sheet music for the song "If the Savior Stood Beside Me," which was sung at the 2007 general Young Women meeting, was printed in the October 1993 issue of the Friend. A fourth verse was written for the general Young Women meeting. The sheet music is available in PDF format: "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" PDF. Also look for this music in the August 2007 New Era.


The arrangement for "As Zion's Youth in Latter Days," which was also sung at the 2007 general Young Women meeting, is available from Jackman Music in Provo, Utah, 801-225-0859.

For more information on the power of music, read "Worship through Music," by Dallin H. Oaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your ideas